Friday, January 9, 2009

Stromboli Supreme

This is one of my favorite dinners.  Why?  I love pizza and this is basically a rolled-up pizza.  It is also very versitile, which is great because then I can use whatever ingredients I happen to have on hand.  The recipe does list specific "toppings", but I am certain I have never used them as written.  Tonight we did ham and turkey pepperoni.  Sometimes I make it with turkey pepperoni, mushrooms and onions.  I have also made it with spinach, tomatoes and onions.  What are your favorite pizza toppings?  Try them.  Go wild!  Many, many thanks to my friend Laura who passed this recipe to me!
Stromboli Supreme
1 loaf frozen bread dough, thawed
2 eggs, separated
1 Tbsp parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp oregano
2 Tbsps olive oil
4 oz pepperoni
4-8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
4 slices ham, sliced into strips
4 Italian sweet sausages, crumbled and cooked
marinara sauce
mushrooms, onions, green peppers
Allow dough to thaw and rise.  Once it has risen, press and fit into a baking sheet.
Cook sausage.
In a small bowl, combine egg yolks, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, oregano, and olive oil.  Spread mixture over dough using a pastry brush.  Layer pepperoni, cheese, and other toppings.  Roll dough from long ended side, jelly-roll style, to enclose filling.
Place seem-side down on pan and tuck ends under.  Beat egg whites and brush over dough.  Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes.  Serve with marinara sauce for dipping.
Personal note:  I have used Trader Joe's pizza dough (any flavor) and pizza dough made using the dough function on my bread machine.  Both work very well.

No comments: