Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Smoothies

I love smoothies! I especially love homemade smoothies. I know exactly what wonderful, flavorful, healthy ingredients the smoothie-of-the-moment is made of when I make it myself. Smoothies are a great way to enjoy seasonal fruit. Below is my basic smoothie recipe. Each smoothie tends to be unique, depending on what I have on hand (i.e. what is in season at the local farmer's market). Today we enjoyed blueberry smoothies and blackberry smoothies. The other day it was peach/blackberry smoothies. I have also been known to use frozen fruit from the grocer's freezer, but it's not quite the same. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do.
Smoothie

½ cup water or juice
½ cup plain yogurt (low or fat free)
½ banana
½ - ¾ cup fruit (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, peaches, or pineapple, etc.), mix and match as desired
¼ tsp. cinnamon (optional)
2 tbsp. wheat germ (optional)

Blend.

Personal Notes:
I add ice or use frozen fruit for a slushy smoothie.

I use water if the fruit is local and in season or a particularly flavorful fruit, juice if fruit is from the frozen section of grocery store.

If I use juice, I use apple juice with berries and orange juice with pineapple or
peaches.

No comments: