This recipe is from my friend Laura. We tried it for the first time this week and it was a huge hit! I hope you enjoy it as well. Thanks Laura!
Taco Style Lentils and Rice
3/4 c. dry lentils
3/4 c. brown rice
2 t. chili powder
1/2 t. cumin
1 t. onion powder
1.4 t. garlic powder
Bring water to a boil and then add all. Bring back to a boil and then reduce heat to low and simmer with lid on for 45-50 minutes. Fill tortillas with lentil rice mixture and top with sour cream, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, etc.
1. You can add a can of diced tomatoes
2. This would be good with a little "kick"--like a dash of cayenne. It's up to you! Without it, it is more kid-friendly.
3. I used homemade bison broth instead of water and bouillon cubes.
4. I used 1/4 of a large onion and a clove of garlic, chopped instead of the onion and garlic powders
5. We blended this with an immersion blender for a refried bean-like texture.