Sunday, December 12, 2010

Making Breakfast Easy

I have been working on streamlining breakfast for the past couple of months. Mornings are an early rush for us, so having things ready when we get up is essential for a smooth start to the day. It also makes weekly grocery shopping fairly easy. Favorite quick breakfast foods are smoothies (prepped the night before and blended in the morning), muffins, toast, hard boiled eggs, and oatmeal. Boxed cereal is pretty much an act of true desperation around here. I prep as much ahead of time as I can. Muffins are made in 2-week batches, then frozen. Smoothies, ideally, are measured out in individual cups the night before and then blended in the morning. Hard boiled eggs are cooked in advance and kept in the refrigerator. Here's our basic breakfast schedule:

Monday/Wednesday/Friday: Smoothies and muffins
Tuesday/Thursday/Sunday: Oatmeal/Toast, fruit (ideally) and hot chocolate

The hard boiled eggs are for those who are still hungry after the initial breakfast offering.

On Saturdays we do whatever time allows, but usually it's a bigger, hot breakfast such as pancakes and sausage or eggs, sausage, and potatoes, or (our new addition) kartoffelpuffers (potato pancakes) with applesauce. We're still experimenting with the kartoffelpuffers, but as soon as we get them to a point were I can post the recipe, I will. I say "we", but this is actually my husband's project. I'm just the buyer and taster. Regardless of who is cooking though, this is one of those times when I feel like I'm living in a test kitchen (smile).

No comments: