Saturday, April 27, 2013

Beautiful Spring Day = Yard Work

After a delightful trip to the CNY Regional Market, we spent the afternoon doing yard work.  I love the acts of making our new house our home!  We planted 2 lilac bushes, one rosemary, an English lavender, a French lavendar, and two currant plants (one red, one black). 

I am very excited about all of these plants as they each represent something special, besides their contribution to our lanscape.  The lilacs are something we grew up with and I'm looking forward to their sweet fragrance wafting in through my office windows.  I'm looking forward to utilizing the rosemary and French lavender in the kitchen.  The English lavender will make lovely sachets to use throughout the house and as gifts. 

Finally, the currents.  I never planned to add currants to our yard.  I think I read something recently that said they are not as common as they used to be.  Therefore, I was surprised to see them at the market last week. I was especially excited because my grandmother used to make red currant jelly from her backyard currants.  I took note and decided to talk to my husband about this possible addition to our yard.  I returned home, got wrapped up in the day, and promptly forgot.  Thankfully the currants were there again today and my husband was with me!  We decided to buy one red and one black starter.    I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do with them.  They'll take a few years to produce enough for any projects (an exercise in patience!), but I'm excited nonetheless.

If you ever get a chance to visit the CNY Regional Market, or a farmers market closer to your home, I highly recommend it.  Not only did we buy plants, but we bought pre-baked pizza crusts (which I put in the freezer for future use), fresh bread, pasta, pasta sauce, and mushrooms.  Normally I would buy more produce, but since I didn't know if I would be able to make it to the market this week, I loaded up at the grocery store and my fridge is full.  Anyway, we purchased all of this from local vendors, supporting local, small businesses and the local economy.  It's nice to be able to talk to the people who are actually growing/making our food.

I hope you all had a wonderful Saturday and are able to enjoy a day of rest and relaxation tomorrow.


No comments: