Thursday, April 23, 2009

Amish Friendship Bread

Amish Friendship Bread is making the rounds again.  I actually love it when I receive a bag of starter.  I think last time I was able to keep it going for about 2 months, just trying out new flavors and ideas.  I love to make adjustments to the recipe and, since I have this blog now, I thought I'd share those with you.  I'll keep adding to this post as I try new variations.  If you have one that you would like to share, please feel free to let me know.  I'd love to try your suggestions.
Amish Friendship Bread
Basic Instructions, received with a bag of starter:
Day 1: Do nothing
Day 2: mash the bag
Day 3: mash the bag
Day 4: mash the bag
Day 5: mash the bag
Day 6: Add to the bag: 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup milk, and mash the bag
Day 7: mash the bag
Day 8: mash the bag
Day 9: mash the bag
Day 10: Follow the directions below:

Pour all of the bag into a bowl. Add: ½ cup sugar, 1 ½ cup flour, 1 ½ cup milk. Mix.
Measure 4 batters, 1 cup each, into 1 gallon ziplock bags.
Keep one for yourself and give the others out with copies of this recipe (tell them what day it was).

Baking directions (do this every 10 days if you keep a starter for yourself)
Preheat to 325
To the remaining batter in the bowl, add:
3 eggs
1 cup oil or melted butter
½ cup milk
1 cup sugar
½ tsp vanilla
2 tsp cinnamon
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
2 cups flour
1 box instant pudding (any flavor)
1 cups raisins and/or nuts (optional)
Grease 2 large loaf pans and dust with cinnamon sugar.  Pour in mixture and sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top.  Bake for 1 hr, cool until loosens from sides.
Variations:
  1. Use chocolate pudding and nuts/mini-chocolate chips instead of raisins.
  2. Use White Chocolate pudding and craisins instead of raisins.  Omit cinnamon and cinnamon sugar (Thanks Monica!).
  3. Use instant sugar-free pudding instead of regular (baked in less time).
  4. Use vanilla pudding with nuts and raisins.
  5. Make muffins instead of loaves of bread.  Each loaf makes about 12 muffins.
  6. Replace 1/2 cup oil with 2 mashed bananas.
  7. Replace 1 cup flour with 1 cup whole wheat flour.
  8. Use white chocolate pudding, and 1 cup chopped pecans.
  9. Replace 1/2 cup oil with 1/2 cup applesauce, reduce sugar to 1/2 cup.
  10. Use white chocolate pudding and 1/2 cup pecans.
  11. Replace 1/2 cup oil with 1/2 cup plain, low-fat yogurt.
  12. Use vanilla pudding and 3/4 cup blueberries - I used small, Canadian (like Maine) blueberries that I found in the freezer section at Trader Joe's.

No comments: