- Take a hike and enjoy the beauty of nature. Be sure to take a trash bag with you to pick up any litter you find along the way. We go on "Rainbow Walks" to look at all the incredible colors surrounding us.
- Go canoeing, kayaking, or rowboating - it's peaceful and doesn't polute
- Go camping
- Find a place outside to enjoy a good book (anything will do but I've listed some related ideas below)
- Go on a picnic
- Visit a local garden/arboretum
- Plant a tree
- Start/work on your garden
- Learn about ways to calculate, reduce, and/or offset your carbon footprint
- Attend an Earth Day event
- Learn and practice the principles of Leave No Trace
- Watch Planet Earth or Blue Planet*
- Go see Disneynature's premier release: Earth
Just remember: "Take only pictures, leave only footprints"
*I also highly recommend The 11th Hour and An Inconvient Truth, but I was going for more upbeat activities in the spirit of celebrating.
- 50 Simple Things You Can Do to Save the Earth by The Earth Works Group
- 50 Simple Things Kids Can Do to Save the Earth by The Earth Works Group
- Serve God Save the Planet by J. Matthew Sleeth, MD
- It's Easy Being Green by Emma Sleeth
- Saving God's Green Earth by Tri Robinson with Jason Chatraw
- Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv