Monday, February 11, 2013

Bread



I rarely buy a loaf of bread anymore.  Homemade bread is so quick (esp. with a bread machine) and easy, plus it's cheaper and healthier than store bought bread.  I really don't see the point in buying it if I don't have to.  Also, I know exactly what is going into it - have you read a bread ingredient list lately?  Yikes!  Even the bakery loaves at the grocery store have ingredients that aren't necessary for bread.  Now, admittedly, we do still buy English Muffins and buns because I haven't put time into figuring those out.  I just try to watch my ingredient lists and not buy them too often.

Every time my dad comes to visit, he asks me to make a loaf of bread for him to take home.  Then, last week, a friend came over for lunch and asked for the recipe.  So, I figured I would share it here as well.  I hope you enjoy it.  I do use the bread machine, but only for the dough cycle, as I don't like the shape of the loaf my bread machine makes and I don't see that as reason enough to spend money on a new one.  Besides, I really like the way the loaf bakes in my stoneware pan.

Bread

Put ingredients in bread machine pan in order listed:

1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp salt  (can be less, I think I'm down to about 1/2 tsp)
2 cups whole wheat flour (I use King Arthur)
1 cup bread flour (again, I use King Arthur)
1/2 cup rolled oats (not quick)
2 tsp yeast

1.  Run sweet dough cycle on bread machine.
2.  When cycle is done, remove dough roll it into a cylinder the length of your loaf pan (I just do this with my hands, above the loaf pan).
3.  Place in loaf pan and let rise 20-30 minutes (until you like the height/shape).
4.  Bake for 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees.
5.  Let cool for about 10 minutes, then remove from pan and let cook completely on a cooling rack.



No comments: