Thursday, March 28, 2013

Stone Ground Whole Wheat Bread



I've made some adjustments to the previously posted bread recipe.  The last one was more of a sweet, oatmeal bread.  This is a Stone Ground Whole Wheat Bread.  Most whole wheat breads are dense.  That's fine with me, but they aren't as popular with my in-house tasters.  This one passes everyone's test.  I hope you enjoy it!

Stone Ground Whole Wheat Bread

1 1/4  cup unsweetened almond milk
2 Tbsp pure maple syrup or honey
1 tsp salt  (can be less, I think I'm down to about 1/2 tsp)
3 cups stone ground whole wheat flour (I use Bob's Red Mill)
6 Tbsp vital wheat gluten (magic!  This is what makes the bread soft)
2 tsp yeast

1.  Run whole wheat dough cycle on bread machine.
2.  When cycle is done, remove dough and roll it into a cylinder the length of your loaf pan (I just do this with my hands, above the loaf pan).
3.  Place in loaf pan and let rise 15-30 minutes (until you like the height/shape).
4.  Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
5.  Let cool for about 10 minutes, then remove from pan and let cool completely on a cooling rack.

No comments: