Monday, November 23, 2015

Caulifredo Sauce

Chef Del Sroufe is a chef in Columbus, OH.  He has written several cookbooks, including The Forks Over Knives Cookbook and Better Than Vegan.  It was in the later that I learned about Cauliflower Puree.  Now it seems to be popping up everywhere, including in a recent issue of Wegman's Menu. It's a great way to make creamy foods in a healthier way.  Cauliflower is an incredible source of Vitamin C and a great source of fiber, folate, choline, B6, and Vitamin K.  It's low in calories and has a low glycemic load.  One of my favorite dishes used to be fettuccine alfredo, but it is so loaded with fat from cream and butter that I no longer believe eating it is worth the sacrifices to my health.  After seeing Chef Sroufe's Cauliflower Puree and several recipes using it to make alfredo sauce, I tried it for myself.  Most recipes I found didn't look like the traditional alfredo sauce that I was used to, so I adapted this recipe from The Joy of Cooking.  Here it is...


Caulifredo Sauce

1/4 cup raw cashews
3 garlic cloves
8 cups steamed cauliflower (steam until very soft)
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp nutmeg
Salt and pepper, to taste

Place cashews and garlic into food processor and process until crumbly.  Add remaining ingredients and process until smooth.  Add water (from steaming cauliflower, if you have it) as needed.  Serve over pasta.  Mix with equal amounts of your favorite marinara sauce for a yummy pink sauce.

No comments: