Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Barley-Black Bean Burritos

My friends and I have been power cooking again and I promised that I would post the recipes for our recent meals.  I have not made the Barley-Black Bean Burritos before so this is a new one for all of us.  We assembled everything except the vegetable broth, cilantro, tortillas, and cheese and put it in the freezer for future use.  The only reason we didn't add the vegetable broth is because I made my own at home last night, we were using it in several  recipes, and didn't quite have enough to go around.  This was the one recipe where we thought it would be okay to add later.  I'll include my vegetable broth recipe later in the entry.
Barley-Black Bean Burritos
1 cup uncooked fine barley
1 cup frozen whole-kernel corn
1/3 cup water
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice (1/2 lime)
2 tsp Mexican seasoning (we used taco seasoning)
2 tsp bottled minced garlic (we used two cloves minced garlic)
1 (15 oz) can no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14 oz) can vegetable broth
1 (10 oz) can diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
12 (6 to 7-inch) flour tortillas
3/4 cup (3 oz) shredded Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeno peppers
Shredded iceberg lettuce (optional)
Salsa (optional)
Place first 9 ingredients in a 3- to 4-quart electric slow cooker; stir well.  Cover with lid; cook on low-heat setting 6-1/2 hours or on high-heat setting 3 hours 15 minutes or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed.  Stir in cilantro.
Heat tortillas according to package directions.  Spoon 1/2 cup barley mixture down center of each tortilla; sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon cheese.  Serve on shredded lettuce and top with salsa, if desired.  Yield:  6 servings (serving size:  2 burritos).
From:  Cooking Light Superfast Suppers
Vegetable Broth
As I use onions, celery, and carrots, I take the scraps and store them in a container in the freezer (right now it's a gallon-sized freezer bag).  I place half the bag of frozen scraps in the crockpot, add about 3 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, 3 peppercorns, and a bay leaf.  Then I fill the crockpot with water and cook it on low all night.  The next day I strain out the scraps and bay leaf.  Viola!  I have broth.  Sometimes I add chicken or bison bones to get a meaty broth.  Then I use the broth in various recipes or to make rice, barley, etc.

No comments: